TOBA: Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association
Owner Education


In order to race a Thoroughbred you must possess a valid owner's license from the state in which you wish to race. In many states, each member of a partnership or syndicate must be licensed. Licenses can be issued by state racing commissions or the National Racing Compact. The National Racing Compact is an independent, interstate governmental entity, composed of pari-mutuel racing regulators from participating states that can issue a national license which will be recognized by all participating states and other states that may elect to recognize the license.

Copyright © 2019 Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association. All Rights Reserved.
P.O. Box 910668 · Lexington, KY 40591-0668
Phone: (859) 276-2291 · Fax: (859) 276-2462 · Email:
privacy policy | terms of use